Food Services FAQs

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:

Who can get free or reduced meals?

Children in households that receive SNAP or TAFN and foster children all qualify for free or reduced meals. Or if you fill out a free/reduced lunch application and your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Chart, your child will receive free or reduced meals. Breakfast is free for all Greenfield Public School students. Any children who attend Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) participating schools receive free lunches. Current CEP schools are; Greenfield High School, Greenfield Middle School, Newton Elementary School, Federal Street Elementary School, And Academy of Early Learning. 

Will the information that I enter on my free/reduced application be checked?

Yes, we may ask for proof of the information that you provided.

If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?

You may apply at any time during the school year. If your household size goes up, your income goes down, or you start receiving SNAP or TAFN, you are encouraged to submit a new application. If you do start receiving Medicaid, SNAP, or TAFN, you may directly certify for free or reduced lunch. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced meals during the time that you are unemployed after you turn in a new application with the school food service department.

What if my household size or income changes?

If your children qualify for free or reduced prices based on your income, you must tell us if your household size goes up or down, or if your income goes up by more than $ 50.00 per month. Call us at 413-772-1334. You may have to fill out another application in order to determine eligibility. 

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Food and Nutrition Services, Greenfield Public Schools, 195 Federal Suite 100, Greenfield, MA 01301, Telephone: 413-772-1334.

If I qualify for free lunch, can my child receive just a free milk? 

No. Milk is free as part of the meal, but it is not free when sold separately. It cost $0.60 when purchased alone. 

If you have any other questions or need help, call 413-772-1334.



Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)  mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.