Autism Awareness in the Greenfield Public Schools
Autism is a "developmental disability significantly affecting verbal and nonverbal communication and social interaction" (http://www.doe.mass.edu/sped/links/autism.html).
- Apple Celebrates Autism Acceptance Month With Two New Videos http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/02/apple-autism-acceptance-month/. "The videos - titled "Dillan's Voice" and "Dillan's Path" - show how...the iPad, has helped a young man with autism navigate a world that doesn't fully understand what he's going through."
- Autism Speaks https://www.autismspeaks.org/
- Autism Live http://autism-live.com/, an interactive web show focused on all things autism. "With nearly 400 episodes and hundreds of other video segments featuring experts and special guests, Autism Live has become a trusted source for parents, teachers, and practitioners to learn, share, and ask questions about autism spectrum disorder (ASD)."
- Autism Live's YouTube page
- Autism Awareness Toolkit containing grade level lesson plans, an Internet guide and book list, a puzzle piece template, and discussion guide: http://www.autismspeaks.org/sites/default/files/docs/family_services_docs/liub_educational_tool_kit.pdf
- Light It Up Blue campaign: https://www.
- New England Center For Children (NECC): https://www.necc.org/parent-
- PBS LearningMedia Autism Resources for parents and teachers http://mass.pbslearningmedia.org/search/?q=%22Autism&selected_facets=&selected_facets=
- Autism Resources for Families
- Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents
- Reduce the Noise: Help Loved Ones with Sensory Overload Enjoy Shopping
- CDC Autism Links and Resources
- Operation Autism for Military Families
- Academic Accommodation Resources
- Temple Grandin's Teaching Tips
- Estate Planning for Parents of Kids with Autism
- For staff: All teachers of spectrum students should apply for and secure their Autism Endorsement prior to 12/31/16 when the state intends to mandate coursework and licensure to work with ASD students Please see Chapter 226 at the DESE website: http://www.doe.mass.edu/boe/
docs/fy2016/2015-09/item5- chpt226excerpts.pdf#search=% 22Chapter%22
For more information, please contact:
Special Education Department
(P) 413-772-1320 (F) 413-774-5825